Today Maurice Harker (Sons of Helaman) blogged that he’s doing some training for bishops soon. Although it is geared toward interviewing young men, I think a lot of what he suggests still applies to when bishops interview adult men. I wanted to share Maurice’s main points. Check out his full post for the rest of the details.
1. Help bishops be more prepared to ask the right questions when interviewing
2. Help bishops understand the verbal and non-verbal responses (e.g. addicts tend to minimize, to partially confess)
3. Help bishops be aware of the components that enable successful recovery so that they can provide direction to resources
4. Help bishops recognize the changes that are characteristic of an addict in recovery
5. Help bishops be aware of what they can do to help and to avoid enabling the addiction